Monday, September 03, 2007

Interesting Spiders

I found some stuff on a very interesting spider that has the most unusual web I've ever seen! Here's some info and the link that I got it from.

Crytophora spiders build what appears to be a three-dimensional irregular web. At the bottom of the irregular structure is a dome-shaped platform that is actually a non-adhesive orb-web with an exceptionally fine mesh.

Unlike the webs of other Crytophora spiders, the web of this spider is free of debris.

The spider hides in a silken tube in the centre of the web. Egg-sacs are lodged inside this tube.

And here is the link that I got the info from:

http://habitatnews.nus.edu.sg/guidebooks/spiders/text/Cyrtophora_beccarii.htm

There you go! I hope you enjoy it. They have photos on the page of both the web and the spider.

No comments: