Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Celyphidae Beetle Flies

Beetle flies......that's right you heard me Beetle Flies are the most bizarre flies I've laid my eyes on so far even more then the Stalked Eyed Flies ( Diopsidae ). Perhaps it might have to do with the fact that I knew about these already.

Anyway I looked these up and I'm glad to report that this time we have some info. Wikipedia provides once again.

Praise the Lord :P

Celyphidae or beetle flies, beetle-backed flies is a family of insects of the order Diptera. About 90 species are known from the Oriental and Afrotropic biogeographic regions.

Celyphidae are small to medium-sized and easily recognised. The scutellum is enlarged, forming a protective shell over the abdomen, giving them a beetlelike appearance. Also, like many beetles, Celyphidae are often shiny or metallic in color.

The wings, when at rest, are folded beneath the scutellar “shell”.The biology of the family is poorly known. Adults are found in along streams and rivers, and in wet grassy areas. Larvae are saprophagous.

So there you go. I'm glad that one of these insects that I got of the site ( It's in Chinese ) has some info linked to it.

Of course there will be more showing up. Stay tuned.

No comments: