Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Illeis koebelei


Yes my friends, what you're seeing is indeed a yellow ladybug. Would I lie to you? I didn't think so. So without further ado I bring what I could find on this adorable beetle.

If I find anymore I'll be sure to post it. :)

Seasonal use of powdery mildews by the mycophagous ladybird, Illeis koebelei, was observed in Setagaya. In the field, I. koebelei shows seasonal changes in host use and breeds regularly on Microsphaera pulchra var. pulchra that infests Benthamidia florida, Oidium sp., that infests Pyracantha coccinea in spring, Phyllactinia moricola that infests Morus australis, and Sphaerotheca cucurbitae that infests Trichosanthes kllirowii var. japonica in autumn.

On these fungus species under laboratory conditions, larval development of the ladybird was completed (within 20 days at 24°C) with a high survival rate. Thus, the seasonal occurrence of I. koebelei may be synchronized with the abundance of essential fungi.

This study showed that I. koebelei feeds on 11 species of powdery mildews, including Sphaerotheca, Podosphaera, Microsphaera, Phyllactinia and Oidium. However, no species of the Uncinula, Uncinuliella and Erysiphe genera were suitable food for the ladybird.

While I don't understand half of it ( probably because it was translated from Japanese, more on that later ) what I could get from it is that it's a fungus feeding ladybug.

And a cute on at that. Now I could be evil and invade their privacy by showing you a pic of them "getting it on" but I'll save that for later......>:)

The site that I got the above info is here. Click on it and you'll see why I said I think it was translated from Japanese.

I'm going to browse that site and see what else they have on ladybugs.

Happy Groundhog Day! ^.^

No comments: