Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Honey Bee Series & Why We're Doomed.....


So I went on a researching rampage after watching this documentary on the life of a Giant Hornet Queen. I went to look up the Japanese honey bee ( Apis cerana japonica ) and the Yellow Hornet ( Vespa simillima ).

When looking up the Japanese honeybee I found out about a whole lot of other honey bee species that I didn't know existed. And that's what prompted me to start this thing.

But also and I need to stress this.....our fuzzy little friends are disappearing.....and no one knows exactly why.

I don't know if it's true for all species of honey bees but it's true for the European or Common Honey bee ( Apis mellifera ).

In other words the honey bees you're supposed to see every summer.

The mysterious 4-year-old crisis of disappearing honeybees is deepening. A quick federal survey indicates a heavy bee die-off this winter, while a new study shows honeybees' pollen and hives laden with pesticides.

Two federal agencies along with regulators in California and Canada are ordering new research on pesticides used in fields and orchards.

Federal courts are even weighing in this month, ruling that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency overlooked a requirement when allowing a pesticide on the market.

Scientists are concerned because of the vital role bees play in our food supply. About one-third of the human diet is from plants that require pollination from honeybees.

But it's not just from fields and orchards they're vanishing from. They're vanishing everywhere! Including my house.

I had known about the "disappearing act" of the bees for a while and I thought that they would get to the bottom of it and save the poor things. But I was wrong.

Last year is when it hit me. I hardly saw one. And when I did see one I was relieved to know that there was a nest somewhere.....

I think saw about 3 through out the whole summer.......

There were plenty of carpenter bees and yellow jackets but the honey bees were almost non existent where before they were dominating the sidewalks and the field outside my house and with the carpenter bees and yellow jackets they were having a feast on the nectar from the Japanese Pagoda Tree flowers that covered the ground.

But now it's just the carpenter bees and yellow jackets.....and the occasional honeybee......

It makes me want to cry. Something has to be done to save them. Because I don't believe that it's just pesticides that's killing them....it's something else.....

And until that something is discovered and wiped out......

About one-third of the human diet is from plants that require pollination from honeybees.....

.......Oh shit we're gonna die..... I just hope I'm not around to see it.

No comments: