Friday, April 23, 2010

Moon Moth Hybrids


This is shocking beyond all reason.

I didn't even think this was possible.

This is G. isabellae x A. truncatipennis and it's gorgeous.

What I'd like to know is exactly how this is done. I want every little detail and I promise I'll ask around about this and see if anyone knows anything.

These things just got even more beautiful. Who would've thought....

.......who would've thought that crossing 2 different species of moon moths would get such a beautiful result. Oh and there's more! You didn't think there was more did you?

The rest are here. For now this is the end of this little series of mine.

Hopefully more info on the species I wanted to mention will come up with time. Nevertheless I'll keep searching and will inform you of anything that I find.

Expect more photos.

3 comments:

Cyren said...

Hey there!

Sometimes, when I breed my butterflies, one butterfly of a certain species mates with a butterfly of a different species but, they are always from the same family (ex. papillionidae with papillionidae, nymphalidae with nymphalidae). The resulting offpsring, are usually sterile, though.

Brittanie said...

I find this absolutely amazing! Do you have any pics? Would love to see the turn outs.

Unknown said...

They may be hand mated (physically held for an extended period to start the process, or a female of the appropriate species may be screen caged very near your hybrid target; occasionally just happens. The synchronizing of emergence may be aided by uv blacklight exposure (used to do this for A. mittrei, as different members of the same brood may emerge any time several weeks to a year after cocooning up). I hated inbreeding, but sometimes was the only choice.