Thursday, June 03, 2010

Water Cricket Velia caprai


Yeah....this doesn't look like a cricket does it?

Yup that's what I thought too when I went researching these. I remember reading the name somewhere in the library.....I'm not sure if it was in a book or on the computer the point is I came across it thinking it was an actual species of aquatic cricket.

Nope. Turns out it's not a cricket but one of the Water Striders in the family Veliidae. For those of you who don't know what a water strider is the best way I could put it is....

....A really cool bug that skates across the surface of water.

That's for you people who don't have "entomological connections" ( is that even a word? ).

In other words I was nice enough to simplify it for you. :P For those who want a nice long scientific explanation well.......your wish is my command:

Kingdom: Animalia (Animals)
Phylum: Arthropoda (Arthropods)
Class: Insecta (Insects)
Order: Hemiptera (True Bugs, Cicadas, Hoppers, Aphids and Allies)
Suborder: Heteroptera (True Bugs)
Infraorder: Gerromorpha
Family: Veliidae (Broad-shouldered Water Striders)
Genus: Velia
Species: caprai ( Velia caprai )

Understand all that? No? Well that's too bad cause I don't have a clue on how to simplify that for you "simpletons" ( no offense intended ).

I suggest you start Googling these terms. Wikipedia would be happy to help.

I wish I could provide some info on this particular species but there doesn't seem to be much on them other then the fact that they can be found in Europe.

Such a shame since the only species of water striders that I've seen were probably Microvelia sp. Well I guess this is it for now...

....until next time my pretties!!

No comments: