Sunday, July 18, 2010

BOTM - Halysidota Harrisii


I think it's time that I dedicate an entry to them.

I've had plenty of encounters with these over the years. I love them. I love all Halysidota sp. I've only seen one other Halysidota sp. Halysidota tessellaris and that was years ago.

These are just as variable H. tessellaris. They come in yellow, white, gray, or light tan-ish brown.

And they're all to die for. ^.^

The Sycamore Tussock Moth (Halysidota harrisii) is a species of moth of the Arctiidae family. It is found in South-Eastern Canada, the Eastern parts of the United States (but not Florida) and North-Eastern Mexico.

The wingspan is about 50 mm. The moth flies from May to June and from July to August depending on the location.

The larvae feed on Platanus occidentalis.

Did I mention that I love them to death? Yes? Ok good!

Bugs:

1 Eastern Tailed Blue
1 Cicada Killer
1 Geometrid ( ? ) Moth

No comments: