Sunday, July 04, 2010

Common Sulpher - Colias philodice

These almost always have their wings closed. Why this is I haven't a clue. I had the pleasure of seeing the white form of the female on a button bush along with either a male or the yellow ( regular ) form of the female.

I really don't know which. I'm guessing it was a male since it was larger. But what do I know when the damn things won't stay still and won't open their wings?

Any way once more we go with the info. Do extra research!

The Common or Clouded Sulphur (Colias philodice) is a North American butterfly in the family Pieridae, subfamily Coliadinae.

This butterfly may be encountered in fields, lawns, Alfalfa or Clover fields, meadows, and roadsides. Swarms of these butterflies will congregate at mud puddles. They range over most of North America with the exception of Labrador, Nunavut, and northern Quebec.


This I already knew to some extent. What shocked me is this:

The pale yellow eggs are laid singly on the host plants. The eggs turn red after a few days, then turn gray just before they hatch. The young larvae will eat one another. The larva is green with a white stripe running along each side of the body.

The white stripes may contain bars or lines of pink or orange. The green chrysalis hangs up right by a silken girdle. Just before enclosion, the chrysalis turns yellow with a pink "zipper".


Holy shit.

Are you freaking serious?! If this is true I might as well stop thinking right this minute. I've heard and read about cannibalistic caterpillars but this is insane in the fact that it doesn't go into this more and left me not only with my jaw on the ground but wondering how any survive to make it to adulthood.

Surely some survive cause I wouldn't see any at all anywhere if they didn't. I wonder why? Is this a characteristic thing with this species or even the genius? This is not only horrifyingly fascinating but it's confusing.

And it's because they don't go into detail about it. Such a shame. I'll definitely look into this more. You mark my words I will. Although not now because I'm tired.

Interesting though huh? Copyright infringement is not intended.

Halysidota harrisii Count:

4 as of today. Ironic isn't it?

No comments: