Monday, September 06, 2010

Bronx Zoo Butterflies - Polydamas Swallowtail Battus philenor


The last in the series. Awww. Don't worry. I have plans on going back someday. Whether it'd be this year or the next I have plans to go back.

And then there's also the Natural History Museum's butterfly exhibit that's opening sometime in October. I would love to check this out too. Hopefully I get to see luna moths. And now for the entry itself. This was my first time seeing these.

So I have no other experience with these to relate to you. One was sitting high up on the mesh ceiling but I was able to make it out.

It was beautiful. As for info there doesn't seem to be much other then Wikipedia ( which contains a photo of a butterfly that's not a polydamas swallowtail ) and Bugguide. I'll do some more digging and see if I can find anything of interest.

Oh and then there's this which I thought was a nice little entry on the subspecies B. p. lucayus. There are a few subspecies of this one, one of which is extinct. :(

If I find anything else I'll definitely mention it.

No comments: