Friday, September 10, 2010

Why You Shouldn't Always Trust Wikipedia

Iacchus Skipper, Brown Ochre Butterfly - Trapezites iacchus

Well I came across these by accident so I decided to research them. When I get to Wikipedia I find that the so called article on them has practically nothing on them.

Which isn't surprising for a butterfly supposedly endemic to Australia. When I went searching the genius upon the first one I clicked on Trapezites argenteoornatus gave me somewhat of a start with it's misleading information.

That misleading information is this ( oh the shame people! ):

The Silver Spotted Skipper (Trapezites argenteoornatus) is a butterfly of the Hesperiidae family. It is found in Western Australia.

The wingspan is about 30 mm.

The larvae feed on Acanthocarpus preissii, Acanthocarpus verticillatus, and Acanthocarpus robustus.

After reading this I thought how can this be? We have a Silver Spotted Skipper here and it sure as hell ain't endemic to Australia.

T. argenteoornatus was on the list of the other Trapezites sp. that are all endemic to Australia. So upon further research I find the name "Silver Spotted Skipper" to be used on several different species of Hesperiidae.

Smh.... you could at least have mentioned this instead of once again misleading the less smarter people......this is why I always tell you to do extra research. I don't know what's reliable on Wikipedia articles that aren't referenced.

And I'm sure as hell not going to have a "bad reputation". :P So go do extra research and even tell me if anything needs correcting because what do I know?

I don't know everything on an individual species you know.

2 comments:

Vicky said...

you should NEVER use Wikipedia as an info resource, cuz anyone can go on an article about asteroids and put
"I was so happy that I threw up on the girl I've had a crush since first grade."
:)

Brittanie said...

Yeah I know. That's why I always advise people to do extra research.