Thursday, May 26, 2011

Narcissus Bulb Fly (Merodon equestris)

I saw this yesterday and mistook this for a honey bee. Come to think of all my other "Honey Bees" that were way too big to be honey bees might have been these fellas. =)

These are native to Europe (obviously introduced here :P) where they have 6 different color forms. =O I wonder which one was mine? Mine had white fuzz around the abdomen kinda like this one.

They're cute but they like destroying daffodils.......we can't have that in my garden (if/whenever I get one). *^^*

The adult M. equestris feeds on the pollen and nectar of flowers from the genera Lilium and Narcissus.

The larvae of these flies are known pests found on the bulbs of these flowers, leading to the names bulb fly and Narcissus fly. This is unlike most other members of the family, which predate on aphids.


Interesting! From Wikipedia obviously.....do extra research!! I can only do so much with limited knowledge on these and the genius in general. :P

I'll see if I can spot some more?

No comments: