Sunday, August 28, 2011

Psychodidae Invasion

Clogmia albipunctata life cycle. *Note: Pupae is not of Psychodidae.

So for the past 2 months I believe (June-July) I've been seeing quite alot of Moth flies in my house. I have never........I repeat never have had this many in my house ever. Once in a blue moon one would come in but I would normally see most of them outside on the windows in the lobby.

So what's different this year that they came into my house "one by one" and so many? Must've seen about 10- 20 in the course of 2 months! The only idea that comes to mind that's most definitely different this year is the weather. We've gotten a shitload of rain it's not even funny.

And Psychodidae love moist areas. Hence why they live in your drains and are also called Drain flies. But 99% (if not 100%) of all the ones I saw this year were in my house. Mind you it wasn't "out of hand" but it was like every other day or so I'd find one on the walls in my kitchen or bathroom or flying towards my computer screen.

What the hell was going on here? The only thing different in my house is that the furniture is gone (Thank you Cimex! *Sarcasm*). They could've also gotten in somehow too. But once again is why? If they came into my house like everything else does why so many? What's in my house that they love so much?

Mind you I'm not complaining I'm just curious. Then there's the matter of them being called Psychodidae. Get it? >:) Have they finally lost it or something? While I'm at it I'll list the other "insect invasions" we've had:

2010:

Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta)

Saw 14 of them in one day. That year we got a large influx of them. This year I didn't see one. Interesting........

Convergent Lady Bug (Hippodamia convergens)

Saw more of these then I did of Harmonia axyridis at some points. 0_0

2011:

Lacewings (Chrysopa, Chrysoperla sp.)

Not gonna even begin with these. TONS of them this year.

Eastern Commas (Polygonia comma)

Saw maybe 20 in one day.......0_0 Mass emergence perhaps?

Can't think of any more but I have to wonder about all of this.........fascinating. Getting back to Psychodidae.........why Pyschodidae? What's so crazy about them? They're actually (Clogmia albipunctata don't know about other species although I'd imagine other ones too) very very important insects as they help keep our sewage systems clean by feeding on the algae.

No one wants an algae clogged up sewer spilling it's guts everywhere. But again why the "Psycho" in Psychodidae?

I need an origin of names here on Psychodidae!! Anyone care to explain?

Appreciate it immensely. Be on the look out for part 2!

No comments: