Sunday, October 09, 2011

NHM Butterfly Exhibit: Saturniid Mania Part 1

Finally! I'm on a lepidopteran junkie high! Apparently finally laying eyes on Actias luna will do that. That was the icing on the cake.

Actias Luna

Observations:

This breathtaking specimen was perched all the way up almost towards the ceiling and would not have noticed it if it weren't for one of the staff (Thank you!) pointing it out to me when I had mentioned I was in love with them. *^^*

It was pale green almost white and left me in such a state I thought I was dreaming. ^^;;;

Photobucket

Something akin to this shade. Almost see through too. ♥♥♥♥ I'm dying for cocoons now. Must start getting ready!

*Happy squee*

Attacus atlas

Observations:


Was hiding in the bushes and didn't come out to play. *pout* But it was an absolute joy to see it regardless. I hope that next time they'll have one at least in a better viewing area since I want pics and wasn't able to get any.

I wonder if Carolina Science would provide these somehow? I got to hold empty cocoons which was amazing. And see preserved eggs (which are TINY!) which was a treat. I cannot believe something so huge starts out so small.......♥

Speaking of size......you all "know" that the Atlas moth is supposedly the largest moth in the world yes? Ok then what's this?

Photobucket

Male Hercules Moth (Coscinocera hercules) This pic implies that this is larger then Attacus........but Idk for sure.

Photobucket

Holy shit. Female Hercules Moth (Coscinocera hercules) I don't see Attacus doing anything of the sort but then again what the hell do I know?

There are other pics that turned up on Google of people holding both Attacus & Coscinocera but not together unfortunately so I can't make comparisons. Only research.

Atlas moths are considered the largest moths in the world in terms of total wing surface area [upwards of c. 400 cm2 (62 sq in)]. Their wingspans are also amongst the largest, from 25–30 cm (10–12 in). Females are appreciably larger and heavier.

-Wikipedia

Interesting one site (where I got the second picture from Googling) mention Coscinocera having a wing span of 27cm and living for about 10 days. So I'd say neck and neck I guess depending on the individuals......

Photobucket

Breathtaking! I wonder how big the other species of Attacus are? But that's for later. *^^* But there are other species as I had found some piccies during research a few months back.

Also on slightly different note:

Photobucket

What is this? It has characteristics of A. atlas but the color and patches/patterns are quite obviously off. Perhaps another species of Attacus?

The site listed it as Attacus atlas but it doesn't look a thing like it. Subspecies? Aaagh! If anyone knows anything feel free to let me know. Also the rest of the article on Wikipedia is here.

Cheers! There's lots more to come!Link

No comments: