Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Sesiidae Sessiions--Using Pheromones to attract Clearwings

Yellow-legged Clearwing (Synanthedon vespiformis)

Came across this today. I'm amazed right now. I had no idea you could do this. I wonder if this is doable with other moth species. While I'm not entirely sure that we have any species of Sesiidae over here (Central Park most definitely) I have seen 2 Hemaris thysbe (Sphingidae) this year which shocked me.

I wonder, should they return in larger numbers this coming year (please do so! I ♥ U *^^*) I want to experiment with this. I'm also wondering could I get pheromones of other species? Being that I have no clue what moth species reside in my beloved park I have to really do some thinking here.

Any ideas? All of this Sesiidae research has led to more epic books. See here!

1 comment:

eula_w said...

Will gonna check the link. Thanks for this. :)

human pheromones