Saturday, May 12, 2012

Moths

Suspected Protoboarmia porcelaria on my terrace.

Over the past few days along with the wonderful infestation of butterflies there have been long awaited appearances of my lovely Heteroceran friends.

So far:

Hypena scabra
Ostrinia nubilalis
Protoboarmia porcelaria
1 Unidentified brown beauty on said terrace

I love it! Keep them coming.

The Unidentified One. *^^*

*Notes: Was ALL brown with the hindwings being that classic tan-whitish sand color. Legs were tuffed a bit and the thorax had those little tuffs of scales that stick up in some moths.

Was very "flighty". All over the place. Wish I had gotten better piccies but for some reason it was not a good time for it. I think it had something to do with lighting again.  Need to research possible contenders before "speaking" on anything else.

Fascinating. I'm in awe of the variability of some species. It's amazing!!


Hypena scabra? Picture doesn't do it justice. XD

Specimen as far as patterns go looked a little worn for some odd reason. These like coming into my house alot during the summer. I'm surprised to see one out this early!!

For some reason I remember them coming in a little later in the season. June perhaps? But I've only observed them in my house. Never outside until now. Moth in photo was perched on the side of some wall to a shop a couple of blocks from my house.

Once again the Lepidopterans never cease to amaze me. My gooodneeeeess!! *.*

No comments: